Western Energy Alliance is a non-profit trade association representing more than 400 companies across the West connected by the similar interest of environmentally responsible exploration and production of oil and natural gas.
Companies within the intermountain west are represented six ways.
- Regionally and nationally represented in the areas of government access to lands for exploration and production, federal agency permitting, air and water quality, reform of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and Endangered Species Act (ESA), wildlife conservation, health and safety, taxation, and other issues.
- Western Energy Alliance has established relationships with lawmakers in Washington, D.C. enabling meetings with Congress and the Administration.
- Western Energy Alliance is viewed as a valuable resource by policymakers on oil and natural gas.
- Current issues are addressed with speaking events
- They publish the Wildcatter Weekly focusing on natural gas and oil.
- They provide networking opportunities.
Technology and geologic improvements have increased the locations natural gas can be drilled from making it a clean and secure energy source. It reduces pollution by 50 percent in comparison to traditional energy sources. This is measured in the reduced amount of mercury burned and the absence of sulfur dioxide emission.
One-third of all natural gas is produced in the west said, Kathleen Sgamma, vice president of Western Energy Alliance. Sgamma also said a conservative estimate is that six states can produce an equal amount of all oil imported however the areas are oil drilling restricted.
Natural gas is highly regulated. Sgamma and Kelly de la Torre seemingly agree that regulatory agencies overlap in regulations and are inconsistent. Kelly de la Torre is an attorney at the Anton Law Group and practices environmental law. Current regulations implemented by the E.P.A. have little environmental benefit compared to the cost it takes to abide the regulation.
Western Energy Alliance advocates for balance between environmental safety and production of natural gas and oil. To contact the Western Energy Alliance visit their website at; www.westernenergyalliance.org.
- Salazar Appoints Thompson III to Indian Oil Committee (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)