Determine if a company’s mission matches your vision and values. Early in her career Cathey McClain Finlon did just that.
Finlon’s expertise in matching vision and values is found in reviewing the following:
- “For things to change, I have to change.” In growing the McClain Finlon advertising agency to Ad Age Top 100 U.S. agencies responsibilities were given to those who were trained. It is a challenge to give up things to other people as a company grows.
- Spend time working with industry and community boards to build skills and let those skills flow into the company, (Finlon spent 30 percent of her time on boards).
- Mentors pick you, and you earn their mentorship. People who identify themselves as serious doers are chosen to be mentored. “Show me your friends and I will show you, you,” Finlon.
- Unbalanced work and home make life rich and full. Unbalance is fun and intense which can allow you to achieve more.
- Work harder than the next person, leave no rock unturned.
- Check fear at the gate; don’t let it run your business.
- Run, don’t walk from bad work situations.
- Be optimistic.