This week Gary Vaynerchuck a.k.a. "GaryVee" descends upon Denver Start Up Week. If you haven't had the pleasure of meeting Gary, he's been called an over-the-top personality (an understatement-fer sure!), he loves the hustle, the NY Jets, family, business and he loves life. Gary was a guest on my radio show a few years back, right before his book "Crush It" hit the shelves. I actually had a huge "a-ha" during my interview with Gary, you'll hear it around the 20 minute mark, when he tells me "people aren't paying attention to what they are good at". I realized when Gary told me the defining characteristics that he looks for in his business partners, that I'm NOT a true entrepreneur at heart. (at least not in the way Gary describes it) Check it out:
Gary's theory is that if you weren't selling lollipops or crushing it at your lemonade stand before the age of twelve, you're probably not going to be the world's greatest entrepreneur, because you have to be really, really excited & passionate about selling your sh#$*. All I really wanted to be when I was twelve years old was -- a Rockette!
I guess I have GaryVee to thank for my hosting gig at Starto TV. He put me on my true path. :-D
Here are some of the other fascinating things Gary reveals in this interview:
- Gary 'calls me out' on a line I used in my radio show opener
- Why he's so friggin' passionate about ..... everything
- Why Gary did not think he could write a good book (and how he crushed it in the book-writing department)
- The question YOU need to answer in order to work with Gary
- The exact steps you need to take in order to make money doing what you love
- What Gary says to people that claim what he does isn't "scaleable"
- How to Love the Process
- Gary reveals his not-so-secret, evil plan to buy the Jets & exactly how he's going to do it
- Why the big Zero still feels a little sexy
Here are Gary's Top 5 Tips for growing your business:
- Care about your customer.
- Don't spend money on anything you can get "away" with.
- Recognize that NOW is the biggest opportunity for you to make cash (when times are tough; creativity & hustle are the differentiators).
- Make sure what you are doing is what you LOVE. It's the only way to work as hard as you need to.
- "Edu-micate" yourself on all technologies you don't understand. :-)
Gary's top tip for getting the most out of Twitter: LISTEN
Gary walks you through EXACTLY what to do when you get on Twitter to build your following.
Here are my favorite quotes from Gary:
"If you don't care, you lose."
"What do you really, really want out of life. Work backwards."
"I don't want to hear about golfing & tennis & John Madden football & the Wii, when you're crying about your financial situation. Stop watching friggin' LOST and start hustling and building your business."
"It's about conversation, not just plugging what you want to accomplish."
"Word is bond."
You might also like: